Wednesday, September 17, 2014

News Bar

Feature : Australia broke ranks with 'world bullies' to assist Sri Lanka

Home News & Events MOD News

Last modified on: 12/30/2010 11:40:16 PM The Humanitarian Mission will continue

The Humanitarian Mission will continue

Sri Lankan security forces will continue with their humanitarian operations aimed at rescuing the remaining 15,000 to 20,000 people held hostage by the LTTE terrorists despite the decision taken to refrain from using heavy calibre weapons, said a senior defence official. The measure has been taken to ensure proper implementation of the Zero Civilian Casualty Policy, so far adapted by the Sri Lankan armed forces during their counter terror mission, he further said.

Speaking further he said that the conclusion of combat operations should not be misinterpreted as a ceasefire offered. "It is a decision that signals the nearing victory of one of the world 's most successful battles against terrorism. It is a decision that displays the genuine will of the Sri Lankan government to rescue its citizens from terrorism", he said.

Finally he said that government decision was not a result of any international pressure but a timely and professional strategic decision taken to ensure the achievement of the overall mission of the operation.

Related News >>>

Japan welcomes rescue of civilians: condemns LTTE's use of human shield

LTTE must surrender - Defence Sec

'Combat operations reach conclusion, priority to rescue hostages' - SL Government

| |   PRINT

Reproduction of  news items are permitted when used without any alterations to contents and the source.

| About Us | Publications | News & Events | Resources | Useful Links | Services | Defence Units |

2009 Ministry of Defence and Urban Development - Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka. All Rights Reserved

Comments and suggestions to : Web Editor