Friday, April 29, 2016

News Bar

 SAARC Cultural Center will enhance South Asian cultural ties - President    |  State Minister Wijewardene graces school Investiture Ceremony  

Home News & Events MOD News

"Ranaviru Real Star - Mission ll" Grand Finale Staged

"Ranaviru Real Star - Mission II" Grand Finale Staged

The rousing finale of the world's first ever "Ranaviru Real Star" reality show "Mission ll" was staged on grand scale at the Sugathadasa Indoor Stadium on Friday evening (06 July). A record number of over 3.4 million SMS's poured in supporting the five finalists. "Ranaviru Real Star" is a brain child of Secretary Defence and Urban Development Mr. Gotabaya Rajapaksa which aims at bringing out the hidden talents of the war heroes of the three forces.

His Excellency the President and Commander in Chief Mahinda Rajapaksa graced the occasion as the chief guest of the grand finale of the Ranaviru Real Star talent show and was welcome by Secretary Defence upon his arrival at the venue.

A total of five, 3 servicemen and two servicewomen were selected for the grand finale. Three from Sri Lanka Army, one from Sri Lanka Navy and one from Sri Lanka Air Force competed in several rounds showcasing their hidden talents in the final event.

The panel of judges were comprised of professional and well reputed musicians and artists in Sri Lanka; namely, Visharada Edward Jayakody, Jakson Anthony and Yashoda Wimaladarma who contributed 60 percent in the selection of winners of the competition. The rest 40 percent was allowed public to decide upon their SMS.

Ayomi Perera of the Sri Lanka Army won the trophy in the face of stiff competition with other competitors, making history as the Ranaviru Real Star - Mission ll. She was presented the keys to a brand new luxury house valued at Rs. 17 million by First Lady Shiranthi Rajapaksa. The second place, secured by Gayan Anurapriya of the Sri Lanka Navy and was presented with the key to Toyota "Avanza" car sponsored by Toyota Lanka and Rs. 1 million together with a trophy. The third place went Kavinda Dumindaraj of Sri Lanka Army and was awarded Rs. 5 million together with the trophy. The fourth and fifth places were secured by Asela Manukulasooriya of Sri Lanka Army and Imali Anuruddhika of Sri Lanka Air Force respectively. They were awarded Rs. 500,000 each together with the trophy.

Moreover, competitors who secured positions from 7th place to 24th place were awarded special prizes by the service Commanders. In addition the 6th place winner will receive a house worth 5 million.

The Ministry of Defence under the guidance and supervision of Secretary Defence set off this historic journey, the Ranaviru Real Star - Mission 1 on 05th November 2010 whilst the Mission 2 commenced on October 21, 2011. It is the concept of Secretary Defence and Urban Development Mr Gotabaya Rajapaksa and made possible with the generous sponsorship of Dialog.

First Lady Mrs. Shiranthi Rajapaksa, Secretary of Defence and Urban Development Mr Gotabaya Rajapaksa, Mrs. Ioma Rajapaksa, Chief of the Defence Staff, Service Commanders, Mr. Lakshman Hulugalle, Senior Ministry Officials and Senior Military officers were among the distinguished invitees. A large number of servicemen were also attended the event.


| |   PRINT

Reproduction of  news items are permitted when used without any alterations to contents and the source.

| About Us | Publications | News & Events | Resources | Useful Links | Services | Defence Units |

2009 Ministry of Defence  - Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka. All Rights Reserved

Comments and suggestions to : Web Editor