The Subjects and Functions of the Ministry of Defence as published in the Gazette Notification
No. 2202/25 dated 20th November 2020 are as follows:
Ensuring the national security, first and foremost safeguarding the aspirations of the people of Sri Lanka as a unitary sovereign state.
02.Subjects and Functions
1. Providing policy guidance to relevant State Ministry, and formulating policies in relation to the subject of Defence, in conformity with the prescribed Laws, Acts and Ordinances, implementation of projects under the national budget, state Investment and National Development Programme, and formulating, implementing, monitoring and evaluating policies, programmes and projects, related to subjects and tasks under belowmentioned Departments, State Corporations and Statutory Institutions for the creation of a "Secured country" based on the national policies implemented by the government, and in line with the policy statement "Vistas of Prosperity and Splendour".
2. Initiating necessary measures to ensure National Security.
3. Implementing all actions necessary to rid the country of crime, drugs, money laundering and corruption while ensuring military security as well as state security, cyber security, food security.
4. Creating a secure environment in the country that facilitates foreign and local investment opportunities, as well as state and private economic activities.
1. Control of internal riots, terrorist activities and protection from external influences.
2. Prevention of illegal smuggling of goods and services in violation of maritime boundaries.
3. Creation of a country free from drugs by working jointly with the relevant Presidential Task Force for prevention of the influx of drugs into the country, control of the drug menace, prevention from falling prey to drugs, rehabilitation of those addicted to drugs.
04.Related Institutional and Legal Framework
1. Office of the Chief of Defence Staff
2. Sri Lanka Army
3. Sri Lanka Navy
4. Sri Lanka Air Force
5. State Intelligence Service
6. Department of Coast Guard, Sri Lanka
7. Sir John Kotelawala Defence University
8. Defence Services Command and Staff College
9. National Cadet Corps
10. Miloda Institute (Academy of Financial Studies) as a Faculty of Kotelawala Defence University
11. Civil Security Department
12. Department of Multipurpose Development Task Force
Chief of Defence Staff Act, No. 35 of 2009
Army Act, No. 17 of 1949
Navy Act, No. 34 of 1950
Air Force Act, No. 41 of 1949
Department of Coast Guard Act, No. 41 of 2009
Extradition Law, No. 8 of 1977
Defence Services Command and Staff College Act, No. 5 of 2008
Explosives Act, No. 21 of 1956
Firearms Ordinance No. 33 of 1916
Firing Ranges and Military Training Act, No. 24 of 1951
Mobilization of Supplementary Force Act, No. 40 of 1985
Offensive Weapons Act, No. 18 of 1966
Piracy Act, No. 9 of 2001
Prevention of Terrorism Act, No. 48 of 1979
Public Security Ordinance, No. 25 of 1947
Sir John Kotelawala Defence Academy Act, No. 68 of 1981
Suppression of Terrorist Bombings Act, No. 11 of 1999
Suppression of Unlawful Acts Against the Safety of Maritime Navigation Act, No. 42 of 2000