r Ministry of Defence - Sri Lanka

Maximum effort to ensure public security

May 13, 2019

The Police and the Tri Forces have taken maximum effort to provide security to all schools. The public is requested to continue with their routine activities without fear as maximum security has been provided to ensure public security. There is no cause for fear. Religious observances were conducted around places of worship today (Sunday) and children were attending private tuition classes as usual, said so the Police Spokesman SP Ruwan Gunasekara during the press briefing held at the Media Centre in Kollupitiya, last evening (12). Military Spokesman and Director of the Media Centre Brigadier Sumith Atapattu was also present at the briefing.

Commenting on an unconfirmed report circulating on social media about Monday (13), he said that authorities will look into all details that they receive and will provide maximum security. These are basic information which have not been unconfirmed by intelligence units or security agencies. Nevertheless, maximum security will be provided to ensure public safety.

A news was seen circulating on social media about a group of terrorists being arrested with weapons in Mount Lavinia, last evening (11). In contrary, it was a Police operation to bust an illegal foreign currency transaction in Mount Lavinia. Acting on information received from the Army about an illegal exchange of foreign currency with local currency, Police together with the Army had launched an operation to apprehend the suspects. One suspect was arrested in Mount Lavinia while three more were arrested at Kirulapone, Kalutara and Kohuwala. Foreign currency worth about 2.5 million rupees and two vehicles belonging to the suspects have also been taken into Police custody, revealed the Police Spokesman.

Authorities will conduct investigations to, confirm the authenticity of the foreign currency notes, find out how it was brought in to the country and if it is a money laundering operation. There is no connection between this and the terror group, the Police Spokesman further clarified. He also refuted a news circulating in social media of three medical students at the Kalubowila Hospital being taken into custody. He said that no such arrests have been made.

The tense situation that arose in the Chilaw town area has been brought under control by the Police with the assistance of Army, Navy and STF troops. No incidents have been reported from there since and the curfew imposed will be lifted at 4.00 am. A Facebook conversation between two individuals in the area had led to the shop of one of the two individuals, who had posted a comment being surrounded by a group of area residents and stage a protest, on Sunday morning (12). The individual has been taken into custody.