1. First of all, Ministry of Defence kindly request from all citizens of the country to assist in managing the current economic and social crisis and unrest in the country with the utmost intelligence and patience.
2. It must be stated that we all respect the democratic right of the people of Sri Lanka to peacefully express their agitations and protests within the democratic framework.
3. Nevertheless, especially the last few days, the struggle that has been going on as a peaceful struggle has been changed and the democratic rights of the people have been violated in an attempt to disrupt the normal life of the people in the country. It is a fact that in general we are all in great distress due to the protests and hartals being carried out in various parts of the country in a manner that affects the daily lives.
4. There have been reports of protesters behaving in a provocative and threatening manner without any regard for the prevailing law and order in the country, disrupting the work of the Police and Security Forces who are committed to maintain law and order.
5. Due to this reason, the majority of the law abiding citizens of the country find it very difficult to maintain the essential services required to carry out their daily lives.
6. Considering the status quo, State of Emergency in the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka has been declared from midnight on May 6, 2022 in accordance with Constitutional powers vested in His Excellency the President of the country, in terms of Article 2 of the Public Security Ordinance and as per the powers vested in the President of the country to maintain public peace, securing the lives of the people and ensuring social stability and to establish the constitutional institutions established in accordance with the provisions of the Constitution.
7. Accordingly, the Ministry of Defence and the Ministry of Public Security inform all citizens of the country to act as responsible citizens with the utmost intelligence and patience during this difficult period to maintain law and order in the country and further request to extend your support to the Armed Forces and the Police Department who are committed to the safety of all of you in such emergencies.